Saturday, September 09, 2006

How can a 40 peso bill be the best investment I had so far?



After work, I yearned to get out from the office with that thought of watching a good series on TV! I was thinking about pampering my night with a cup of coffee and finish it off with a good read.

I was wrong.


Our block was flooded yesterday (yep, rain had something to do with it) but also it was a simple sewerage problem that the City engineers haven't figured out for sooo long. I don't know! Even our taxes are complaining where they are being appropriated to. Whatever the case, flood--even if it is just a heel length, is major pain in the butt.

Pedicab* drivers were in seemingly good mood, in contrast from the swarm of stranded, tired and catatonic people, because opportunities like these only come in rare order and boy! did they charge with skyrocketing fee for their services.

At that time, I can give all the money from my wallet...I just wanna go home. But have thought also, I wouldn't budge in; paying a hefty sum of money is not practical. No way!

I waited for four long hours standing 500 meters away from our home. Never did I realize the true concept of "how near yet so faaar!"

While waiting for the flood to dissipate (like it will gonna...and it didn't after 7 hours), I have come to observe that Filipinos are indeed resilient. Many of whom still have the nerve to laugh and used that moment to socialize with individuals they've only met. I never heard anyone whining about the situation (well, I think I was the only one complaining).

It's true, to fight a major battle and triumph over it is virtuous, but to live everyday amongst minor nuances require a strong spirit.


Now, how can a 40 peso bill be the best investment I had so far?

I had tasted its return immediately in sums of happiness and sheer relaxation.


Well, I persuaded one pedicab driver--one hesitant driver to be exact, to drive me home. And he did!


I have never felt so much excitement going home. To burrow my feet into the warm sheet of my bed and toss my head to my fluffy pillow. And shucks! I love these moments.


Happy Weekend Everyone!

* to those who are not in the Philippines, it resembles a trike


Makati City during the break of dawn as seen from the window of our office.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaahaha..nice post...funny...

i like this: It's true, to fight a major battle and triumph over it is virtuous, but to live everyday amongst minor nuances require a strong spirit.

...so true....

3:39 PM  
Blogger _ice_ said...

Bro kakabadtrip talaga ulan.. nagswimming na nga me papunta work... san gimmick natin.. beerhouse? hahahahahaha

btw. have a nice weekend.. :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger vic said...

You could have been home much earlier if you just took your shoes, rolled up your pants and started pretending you're walking the 'river' Jordan.
But I wouldn't do that in my place in Ortigas Ave. Cainta, too many uncovered manholes. I usually walked the 3 kms to Sta. Lucia mall, but lately the sidewalks were obstructed, I got to re-route to the street and not too safe..

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd probably wade through that flooded street since I'm going home anyway. What's a pair wet shoes, socks and feet compared to 4-7 hours of waiting?

10:57 PM  
Blogger jef said...

DENNIS: Thanks for the note, man. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.


ICE: Naah! I'm currently busy with work related issue so, no jamming at this time hehe!


SIR VIC: That's it. I'm quite afraid to open manholes. I wouldn't take that risk :-)


SNGLGUY: You know, I have thought about that instead of waiting for hours but, man, you just don't know hoe 'germ freak' I am. I prefer to be castrated than to waddle in the bacteria/fecal infested flood. Yek :-(

10:47 AM  
Blogger AIEPRO said...

The first time I encoutered the floods was in 2005, my third visit to the PI. I was in a cab, and we were going from Malate to Makati...and whoa! The taxi was almost swept away, I was so scared. But I got used to it. I really thought the water was going to creep into the cab. But the cab drivers have a way of doing things.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Alternati said...

hahaha... fun post.

I agree with our resilience as Filipinos and our ability to make light of any situation.

I've always believed that you can sow a Filipino anywhere in the world. Wait for a week or two... and for sure, he'll not only have a running business but also karaoke nights on Fridays.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Ace said...

When I was still in Iloilo, flood is a part of life. It comes twice or thrice a year in our place. It was like an All Souls day or a Santacruzan where every year it's expected. I got used to it. It was no big deal.

What a mess this flood brought to you.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Iskoo said...

hahaha,nasanay na siguro mga tao kaya di na nag co complain. lat friday baha sa makati, 4-5 hrs akong na stranded sa kalye, nakatulog na lahat ng pasahero sa bus, di na nag co complain kasi normal na senario na ata yun, hehe.

nice post, nakarelate ako, hehe

8:22 PM  
Blogger tin-tin said...

you gave in? sumakay ka din khet mahal. hehehe. sana di ka na nag-antay

8:50 AM  
Blogger jef said...

VFG: I live in Makati and I guarantee you that flood there is crazy...I just hope that the drainage problem will be fixed soon. I mean, duh! Makati is the business capital.


ALTERNATI: Yes! Pinoys are indeed good in dealing with problems. That's the finer side of being honed from catasrophes after catastrophes.


ACEIAN: Many people are used to it but I just hope that 'getting use' to it is no reason to stop finding solutions--and I'm directing that comment to public offifcials.


ISKOO: Hahaha! Normal na nga eh pero still, kakainis pa rin. Daming nasasayang na oras eh :-)

8:52 AM  
Blogger jef said...

TIN-TIN: Knee length yung baha eh at nakakadiri yung tubig. Mixture of spit, fecal matter and worse, rat pee. I'm not going to risk my health for that hehehe!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whoah.

We migrated here in cavite because of heavy floods and pollution in Caloocan City. Now I'm enjoying the fruitcakes of Dasma, Cavite.

Very very interesting read.

I like the quote. You coined it?

8:06 PM  
Blogger jef said...

Yep, from Daddy Long Legs, Neil.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!