Friday, October 06, 2006

Budz, Luvs and Iya

I had the opportunity to accompany my sister-in-law to the airport bound to Dubai yesterday. She's the wife of my eldest brother. She happened to secure a two week vacation leave to attend the first birthday of their firstborn child, Iya.




Their courting stretched to an unbelievable eight year period. They were separated half the time they were engaged. My brother was already working abroad at that time and yet they managed to stay together despite the distance and loneliness. Not many couples, even married ones for that matter, can withstand years of utter separation. I guess, that’s how true love and commitment works—to transcend conventions and making the proverbial fairy tale into a concrete reality.

What I observed from their relationship is how they try to complement each other, if my brother is reading this he sure will give me smack on the head hehe…so I wouldn’t give in to details. However, they sure know how to balance their relationship and that’s how their marriage works.

On their eight year, they finally decided to get married and their wedding was the stuff dreams are made of. Everybody can feel their deep sense of love and it was no mistake that they were meant to be. By the way, they were both 33 at that time … it was indeed a loooong wait hehe!

Right after their wedding in December 2004, they went abroad to settle but knowing that my sister-in-law was pregnant, they finally decided that she was better off giving birth here than elsewhere. My brother, however, stayed in Dubai. I know it’s hard for him not be with his wife during the delivery but he never failed to let my sister-in-law knows that they are his world and life. And they still are…

Nine months after being married, they welcome Lorraine Sophia. An angel in disguise, armed with an infectious smile.

Just barely three months after their child was born and inasmuch as it was painful for her, my sister-in-law must go back to Dubai to secure her visa or else it will be revoked. This was the hardest dilemma for them—to weave a better future for Iya, separation is necessary.

To you, Kuya Budz and Ate Luvs, I only wish you the best and may your prayers be answered. Just remember that in every sacrifice, an equal amount of triumph will also ensue.

To you my dear, Iya. May you realize someday the extent of their love to you.


********************

N.B: They are just one of the statistics and their sacrifices weren’t that common nowadays. The Filipino Diaspora is happening and will continue to happen if proper measures to secure the stability of our economy will not come into being. I am not going to bicker about the loopholes of our present system because apparently, it’s under our noses. Something is definitely wrong.

I hope that next time we will cast our votes, we should consider the people we are rooting for.

Good intentions are not enough…remember that they will be the one who will hold the rudder of this mighty ship we call The Philippines.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i myself can relate to their situation, it's hard and most of the time painful especially if you're not there for her and ease her pain... but i think we filipinos survive in any way we can, ika nga para tayong kangkong, itapon mo man kahit saan, tumutubo pa rin... :)

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their love really stood the test of time. Now they have the test of distance and hope this makes this stronger as well. COngratulations to them.

5:40 PM  
Blogger tin-tin said...

wow! long wait nga. and i admire their commitment to each other.

happy birthday to your niece :)

5:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yan ang nagagawa ng tunay na pagmamahal, kahit malayo sa isat isa kayang ipaglaban. pero mas maganda siyempre kung magkasama sila ;)

eh ikaw kelan mag-aasawa? hehe joke lang baka batukan mo ako sa tanong ko. hehe

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute ng pamangkin mo, mana sa tito ;)

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uy, your bro is so blessed to have such a loving and pretty wife and a cute beautiful baby girl! :)
lahat yata ng family sa pinas merong at least isang OFW. me? i'm the only one left... all my siblings are abroad, waaa...

11:19 PM  
Blogger vic said...

Some will look at the failures of marriages brought by long separation and forgot the triumphs of so many, for the sake of their loves for one another and for the children. Wish them all the strenght to carry on. Pretty, pretty girl, the fruit of true love and untold sacrifices and she's worthy of them all.

1:26 AM  
Blogger don said...

Hey...she looks like you!

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother left for Japan a day ago to work, he also has a kid left with his wife. More than anything, I feel sad for my neice because she will not get to be with her dad for the next 5 years. We grew up with both my parents around and I cannot even imagine how things would have turned out had we not have them around while we are growing.

Sacrifices. Not only my brother is making a chunk of it, but in my opinion, its more of the kid who would end up missing a lot with this whole thing. I just pray all the best for mu Kuya's family.

5:30 AM  
Blogger _ice_ said...

i can relate.. its hard to be far away with your love ones.. there were times na you were longing for their presence at wala kng magawa kundi umiyak.. miss my baby girl and my mom...

have a nice weekend

9:41 AM  
Blogger Alternati said...

If we have anyone to blame, It's the government for not providing enough well-paying jobs for everyone here in the PI. But beyond the finger pointing, It is amazing how filipino families can make certain situations work. (Just like your brother and his family) Goes to show how resilient and adaptable we all are. :)

11:10 AM  
Blogger jef said...

GBERT: I just hope that you and your girlfriend will also withstand the loneliness. Cheers to you both!


FERDZ: I will let them know about it. Thanks for droppin' a note.



TINTIN: Belated din po daw hehe! As their brother, they know how much I look up on them.


CRUISE: Ako! Hmmm...ipakilala mo muna ako sa mga kaibigan mong mga babae hehe!


ISKOO: So that means CUTE din ako hehe:-)


RHO: True, In God'd perfect time, everything will fall into place. I wish you and your hubby a long and lasting marriage.


CAREY: Oo nga eh, halos lahat ata ng kakilala ko rin may OFW na. Ikaw, kelan ka rin magiging miyembro ng OFW club? :-)


SIR VIC: I'm just proud that my brother is not a philandering twerp...should that be the case, even if he is living in the PI, I'm pretty sure that his marriage will last a minute after their vows :-(


DON: Thanks, Don! That again means I'm CUTE hehehe!


SAM: Thank God that Iya is in good hands with my sister-in-law's family and from the way I see it, she will have a normal childhood. Ate Luvs have plans though to settle here once Iya will turn 5.


ACE: Send my warm hugs to your baby girl, bro. Hope all is well. Have a great weekend too.


ALTERNATI: Yes, we Pinoys are indeed resilient and that makes us a tough nut to crack. Hope the economy will turn out well soon...and I mean really, really SOON.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope and pray that we can still have the power to elect people in the government...

all will be well, in time.

7:19 PM  
Blogger duke said...

haay...sakripisyo nga naman...

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great love story. something truly worth sharing..

www.funkypao.blogs.friendster.com/walangmagawachronicles/

2:34 PM  
Blogger Iskoo said...

kung bibigyan ako ng pagkakataong mag abroad or mag migrate s aibang parte ng pilipinas siguro bitbitg ko buong family ko (immediate lang ha), hehe isang barangay kasi kami kung buong relatives, hehe. just to cheer you up. nice post

12:56 AM  
Blogger Lazarus said...

True love can withstand the distance. But why subject it to such harsh situtation when you can be together.

...for richer or for poorer.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Rey said...

I can always relate to this since Jean and I has been steady for around 6 years before taking the hitch.

Of that six years, 4 years were spent away from each other becasue we came from different cities and we can only be together for a day or two every month. After we got married, I flew here in Singapore just 5 months into our marriage.

But God was good. Good things comes to those who wait. It's been over two years now since we're together.
Hope ma- re unite na rin ang kuya mo sa pamilya niya sa Dubai.

2:43 PM  
Blogger jef said...

YMIR: yes, bro...hope and prayer is all we have. Great avatar by the way.

KUAZEE: Thanks for leaving a note. Nice blog as well.

DOC: Tama, ang hirap talaga magsakripisyo.

LAZARUS: I guess it's easier said than done. There are things which cannot be answered immediately...I do hope for them the best though.

ISKOO: Sama mo ko nyahahaha!

REY: Indeed, Good things comes to those who wait. Thanks for the inspirational account of your sacrifices as well. I appreciate it a lot :-)

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!