Friday, May 25, 2007

Change




I was walking along a familiar path back in the province, tracing roads that lead to memorable places I once thread when I was little. To my surprise, it seems that everything I previously consider eternal now slowly fades every day. The big mossy wall doesn’t seemed too tall, the rocky roads doesn’t appeared intimidating anymore and the trees that once jutted beyond my sight seemed reachable now.

Although, the landscape changed with few houses sprouting just everywhere, no doubt that the old feeling of being home is still there.

People, Yes! People, too, changed. My parents, for instance, my fortress when I was a child now a caricature of the strong people they once were—arching backs, slow steps and wrinkled faces; these are now the markings they have traded with Father Time.

Childhood friends also have grown to the adults I barely knew…mature individuals who are now raising kids of their own. Or the little tykes running in the streets before bear no resemblance of the innocence they once have. The teacher with growing smiles took the toll of disciplining rowdy kids by her imminent graying locks.

Yes! Time works its way to get paid.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror, however, the child in me fights over to what it sees—growing mustache, prominent brow…stronger jaw lines.

Deep inside, I’m still that awkward little kid, insecure in so many levels and mostly lost in my own little world but my reflection betrays me by presenting the years of experience I have earned. What I see is the man whom I am becoming.

In as much as I would like to hold on to what I sincerely believe is important, time dictates that I should move beyond innocence and face reality as it is.

Maybe that’s how life works, to evolve, to improve, to change…albeit for the better. Each stage, nevertheless, is an offshoot for the next.

As I turned around that familiar path, my heart ached because I know that I cannot fight change. While time is molding me to be the person I should be, it also carries with it memories that I must learn to let go.

And by letting it go, change will now take its course.

6 Comments:

Blogger tin-tin said...

one thing that is constant.. it's change. even if we don't like to..

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

though time is forming us to be the man we are meant to be... never lose the child in you.

6:21 AM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

Exactly what Ymir said. So long as we never lose the child-like innocence in us, change can never hurt us.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Miss F said...

That is such a beautiful post~!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Lazarus said...

we change, hopefully for the better.

some change, to make us better.

I hope that change will not sidetrack us in our pursuit for a better life.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so true. i feel the same way sometimes. i get to think of the way things were and how time has passed me by. how different our perspectives have become. yet, i feel as if i'm still the same little girl i was. pero ika nga nila, that's life.

at sabi nga ni pareng paolo, "Closing cycles. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because that no longer fits your life. Shut the door, change the record, clean the house, shake off the dust.Stop being who you were, and change into who you are."

hi jef!!! =)

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!