Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lost in Translation


Thanks to the World Wide Web, we can actually translate a foreign language document into something that we can really understand.


Japanese to English or Russian to Spanish…you name it, a language translator program can do it for a fraction of a time than finding that language ‘geek’ you need to harass to translate it for you.

Well, until you are that good speaking with different languages, I reckon that you must think twice using this translator thingee.

Case in point: The sentence that was used here was from the “About Me” in my profile column. Just swerve your sight at the upper right corner of your computer screen just below my profile pic…THERE found it!

Anyhoo, what I did was to translate it to Spanish, from Spanish to French and back to our good ‘ol English.

And I laughed at the result…


Original: In English

Sometimes, words hardly spoken are from those safely tucked within. These are the fragments of my life...my wishes...my dreams flowed freely from that throbbing presence inside my body.

In Spanish

A veces, las palabras habladas apenas son de ésas remetidas con seguridad dentro. Éstos son los fragmentos de mi vida... mis deseos... que fluyeron mis sueños libremente de esa presencia que palpitaba dentro de mi cuerpo.

In French

Parfois, les mots parlés dès qu'ils sont de de celles-là remetidas avec sécurité à l'intérieur. Ceux-ci sont les fragments de ma vie... mes désirs... qui ont librement coulé mes rêves de cette présence qui palpitait dans mon corps.

…and back to English

Sometimes, spoken words as soon as they are of these remetidas with safety inside. Those are the fragments of my life... my desires... which freely ran my dreams of this presence which palpitated in my body.


HUH! What palpitated in my body, wha…?!

No wonder the long road to world peace is as elusive as the Golden Fleece.

You say TOMATOE and I say TOMATO that kind of thing.


Darn you King Nimrod!

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Haha. Such expected inconsistencies. The translations were, of course, literal based on the 'most commonly used' terminologies. But otherwise it came out not that bad.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well you did said throbbing... hahaha.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Jeruen said...

Wait one second, I have to disagree on the Nimrod comment. If the Nimrod event didn't happen, then I wouldn't have an academic field to study, LOL.

And yes, that's precisely the reason why there are computational linguists out there, to prevent things from palpitating in your body! Obviously, the software isn't perfect, yet, but we're getting there.

By the way, I find this blog too interesting to not include in my blogroll. I hope you don't mind.

LIW

6:13 AM  
Blogger dawnie said...

that is so cool! bakit ka nakaisip na mag translate2x ?? :)

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try translating it to Chinese or Japanese then back to English. It's more hilarious...

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog liked reading through it ,Thanks for sharing

3:42 PM  
Blogger jef said...

Neil: Yeah, it came out quite 'understandable' hehe!

Ymir: You said it bro! Hehehe

LIW: Perfect the software and I bet you will be the most celebrated linguist in the planet. Thanks for linking me...and the compliments as well.

Dawn: Sanhi yan ng walang ginagawa hehe!

Snglguy: I tried your advise and indeed, much funnier LOL!

Zingtrial: Thanks man! Appreciate it a lot.

11:57 PM  
Blogger _ice_ said...

hey i want to study spanish.. do u really know how to speak spanish?

1:17 AM  
Blogger vic said...

How about the so-called Canadian english where the o is usually followed by the u. how about a "favour". for 'honour' and 'valour'..and I love the 'colour' of your, never mind it's a 'zed' not a Z.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! compact refrigerator Actual wheelchair racing Chicago white sox baseball schedule Tennessee cheap airfares whirlpool washers repair in san diego Hard latina Dos virus scanner zotob Pay per click talk Exploded view of amana refrigerator model  sxd26ve ppc honda dealership Niteline dress 54407940 Financial planning lee county Web cams cornwall pay per click applications ppc keyword expensive statistics Pay+per+click+marketing www peugeot

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!