Monday, July 31, 2006

On being sick and living alone...and of Moms too!


I had the worst case of flu these past few days and up until now, the stinging claw of the ‘bug’ still has a toll in my body. The unending rain in this country makes a little harder to fully recover as well.

One thing I learned from this hellish experience though: It’s hard to get sick when you’re living ALONE!

Case in point:

  1. We have running water but it’s not potable so even though I’m so sick, I have to go to the nearest water refilling station to quench my parched tongue and replaced the fluids in my system.


  1. Buying and cooking food need an extra jolt of energy, which at that time I have low supply of.


  1. Sponge bath. That was an experience. I boiled water, poured it in a basin and added vinegar. I stripped naked in the bathroom and with the help of a soft cloth, I then rubbed my whole body till the water turned a little bit eeky…yek!


  1. I have to watch my medicine intake that in every six or eight hours , I should take this and that medicine.


  1. Though, I’m chilling so bad, I walk a mile or so to the hospital ( no particular route for any transpo on my location, ugh!) for an examination and the good doctor said:

How do you feel right now?I’m sick can’t you see!

Do you have High Blood, Diabetes…etc?Come on, are you kidding me?

Well, flu and cough are caused by viruses.Gee, Doc, thanks for the info DUH!


Although, I have housemates that could ease my burden a little, I really don’t like to be a bother to them as they have their own life to manage. With their little efforts, they did make a difference.

However, this only proves true—when you are having fun living alone, you really don’t like the eyes of an authority [parents in particular] to fall upon you. You surmised that you are an independent stud, an adult for that matter but when trying time comes, you cannot fathom the longing for a mother’s care.

When I called mom back home, I cannot help myself but to cry and wished she was with me or I was at home under her care. Mother’s in general are natural Florence Nightingale; they are made that way and wired up to cure the pains and sufferings of their children.

I guess all of us, even if we try to puff our chest out and proclaim that we are the king of the world, still, nothing can beat the hands that rock the cradle.

Moms are indeed priceless!

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ha. You know what? We used to bathe our dog Micky with vinegar everytime it catches colds. Too bad, it passed away because of some drugged scumbag in our subdivision...

In the meantime, just have yourself properly pampered so that you can feel better. Ok? Haha. have a nice day, dude!

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww Jef

I would make you chicken soup and pat your head...haha

awww

get well soon huh

mwah mwah

2:44 AM  
Blogger Jinjiruks said...

ayoko talaga ng mushy entries.. nde ko alam mararamdaman ko.. kikilabutan ba or mahihiya or i dont know what to feel..

3:26 AM  
Blogger vic said...

hehehe jef, there no cure for the flu yet or cold- only relief.
And mom is the best relief you can get, better than all doctors put together, unless you have someone to give you a nice sooothing massage and that's a relie-f-f-. Anyways drink a lot of fluid and the only medication good for it is something that will make you sleep 'til the virus natural life expires. And remember you won't get the same type of strain next time. Better still get a flu shot yearly, it works..

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get well soon! take lots and lots of fluids. eat lots of fruits! =D take care!!!

9:11 AM  
Blogger This suzy said...

When I'm sick is one of the times I really hate living alone. I know that's not fun. I hope you're starting to feel better now. :)

9:29 AM  
Blogger tin-tin said...

it made me think if ever i became sick when i was still in college and living in a boarding house.. parang di ako nagkasakit ha. hehehe ;p

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the picture looks like you ha. ikaw ba may gawa nyan? anyway glad you're well.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with you about our mothers.
it's really different when she's beside you during difficult times, not only during physical sickness, kahit emotional pain, she's the best person to be around. kaya nga sarap maglambing kay Mama pag may sakit, hehehe...

1:58 AM  
Blogger jef said...

Thank you all guys! Just take your health seriously OK! it's hard to get sick this time.

3:15 AM  
Blogger j said...

hi Jef, please get well soon. you need to take vitamins ya know. maybe it's time for you to get a girlfriend so someone can take care of you especially on days like these :)

3:24 AM  
Blogger jef said...

Hi Jane, I've thought about that LOL!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Jeruen said...

Hay naku I second what you say regarding the hardships of being sick and living alone. Last Spring, I was brought down by the flu. Buti na lang at Spring Break noon kaya walang pasok, so naka-recover nang walang deficits.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!