Sunday, October 15, 2006

Weekend Musing

Due to his diabetes and high blood pressure, which by the way are already stabilized, one of the stings this disease had left was my Dad's poor eyesight—his vision was deeply affected. He can barely see nowadays and it breaks my heart to realize that his main window to the world is slowly dimming. I cannot even fathom how crippling his situation is. Just imagine yourself being led to a darker world--a world lacking from light, colors and shapes; a world void of beauty.

From a person like my Dad with no habits whatsoever, this is more likely an unfair situation. But ranting about the unfairness of life won’t help. Heck, who said by the way that life is fair. These are just but one of life’s little mysteries that will be unfolded later.

As a son comforting his Dad, words do escape me. My two cents seem so futile…I believe, however, that in any given situation, you must focus on the positive aspect. Although he suffered from a stroke, he was not left an invalid. He can still navigate his way in our home, do whatever it is within his capacity and be able to socialize with people.

But keeping a positive outlook is a feat in itself. This is more of a mental battle than an emotional one. It takes a lot of sheer faith to believe that in every difficulty, a triumph will also ensue.

And as a family, what keeps us intact and what keeps us going amidst the difficulties and problems is by looking up.

In the dark hour of the soul, we must not forget what we've learned in the light.

God has proven his grace and faithfulness innumerable times.


I am confident that He is still in control.


***********


I asked God for strength, that I might achieve,
 
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
 
I asked for health, that I might do greater things,
 
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
 
I asked for riches, that I might be happy,
 
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
 
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,
 
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
 
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,
 
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
 
I got nothing I asked for –
 
but everything I had hoped for.
 
Almost, inspite myself, my
 
unspoken prayers were answered.
 
I am, among all men,
 
most richly blessed.
 
Anonymous Confederate Soldier

***********

A blessed week ahead.

17 Comments:

Blogger _ice_ said...

yes ako nauna... btw i remember nung time na namatay yong dad ko Honestly i blamed God kasi isa na nga lang dad ko kinuha ko pa... pero as days goes by narealize ko rin kung anong gusto nyang iparating sa amin naging responsible ako daw heheh pero ngayon sa kanya na ako kumukuha ng lakas ng loob..

"I can do everything through Him who give me strength" phil 4:13

musta bro....

8:41 PM  
Blogger vic said...

It is ironic, but most of the time it is us healthy who suffer most for the sufferings of our love ones. That sometimes we ask ourselves, why not me instead? But there are purposes to all of these, some we knew, some we don’t. One is to test our strength, and to make us realize, that there is more to life than we see at the surface. It only make us much stronger, to someday face our own adversity. I have already gone thru a lot, and I celebrate everyone of them as an Ode to Life, and it makes life worth living. Stand tall and be strong.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep holding on, i amire your strength and faith... :)

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, it's going to be okay. my mother suffered from 2 strokes in a span of 3 weeks last year and it devastated everyone in the family. but a year after, we are still here, only we're stronger. with faith, hope, and love, i know you will find the strength to go on. take care always! :D

8:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me..." (forgot the book and chapter --_-- NIV)

Be strong. Be strong for him and for yourself. HE's with you... with US. That is all I can say...

Been there... had that.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Iskoo said...

my parents are both diabetic, kaya sobra binabantayan namin pagkain nila, hehe. pero nasa kanila rin talaga yun gusto nilang humaba buhay nila, they must take care also of their health.

sana gumaling na dad mo, wala naman impossible sa Lord, kung lumabo paningin nya baka pwede makorrect ng lens. pwede naman na huminto yung paglala ng sakit by maintaining the right medicine and diet, medyo magastos nga lang. your dad dmust be proud of you kasi maalalahanin kang anak :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger tin-tin said...

just keep the faith :)

5:55 PM  
Blogger pauL said...

very well said again bro... ang secret lang naman dyan is to hold on to His promises... kaya nyo yan! God bless to your family and also to your dad!

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how you're dad is going through. Loosing your eyesight seems too much for me.

Ang swerte naman na tatay at merong mabuting anak. :)

SOmetimes to us, our efforts may seem futile, pero I'm sure just knowing that you're with your dad during these tough times is a big thing for him.

Keep strong. :)

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the only thing we can do is to show support for him and let him know that you are ther for him. on the other hand, trust in God... and trust also in your father. i believe your dad is a great soldier who have won battles and learned well from life.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Lazarus said...

very inspiring!

The Lord is Good all the time.
"The Lord is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" - Psalm 46:1

9:23 AM  
Blogger jef said...

ICE, SIR VIC, GBERT, KAROL, NEIL, ISKOO, RHO, TINTIN, PAUL, FERDZ, YMIR and LAZARUS

Thank you all for the thoughtful notes. I really appreciate your giving time to inspire me.

I want to give my own words for each one of you but I'm kinda busy with work.

I will be back soon.

8:01 PM  
Blogger duke said...

my dad's hypertensive and diabetic. he got his coronary bypass graft surgery in 2004. yes, our parents are getting old. the wrinkles come out. the grey hairs already show because they don't bother to dye anymore. alagaan natin sila.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jef, i also felt that way when my mom got hospitalized. parang you wanted to help and make her feel better pero you can't do anything about it. the only thing i did was to pray and be strong for her. kay pag umiiyak ako, i make sure she doesnt know. pero minsan nakita nya ako, and i saw the sadness in her eyes, di ko madescribe... when i think of what happened to her, it still brings me pain... dunno why...
i do hope you will be stronger jef. buti na lang malakas tiwala mo sa Kanya. keep it up.

11:15 AM  
Blogger puklo said...

God has a reason for allowing things to happen, we may never understand His wisdom but we simply have to trust His wills.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Rey said...

Yung tatay ko diabetic rin... and it's really hard to see them in pain especially when there are complications.

4:42 PM  
Blogger jef said...

Doc DUKE: Thanks for droppin a note. Yes, tama ka...let's start our obligation to look after them now.

CAREY: I'm so touched with your story. Mahirap itago ang hapdi especially kung alam mong nahihirapan rin sila. Yes, God is and will always be our strength.

RICHARD: Amen to that, bro. He has definite plans, that I'm sure.

KUYA REY: Yes, it's really hard to act as an observer. I do wich that I could share their pain. What I can do is to feel sorry for myself :-(

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!