Monday, June 19, 2006

butthead


I hate smoking and puffing one doesn’t make you cool!

I don’t judge the people who do and I know how much effort one will go through to kick the habit alone. But I always wonder how can a reasonable individual waste away a hefty sum of money to puff something that causes cancer and bad breath. I just don’t get the logic of it. It’s like taking a poison in a miniscule quantity everyday but each day accumulates into years and soon, you are coughing a green wad of phlegm and still wondering what’s wrong with your system.

Even if my father is a smoker, (because kids at early age will surmised that it’s OK to smoke) which he is not, thank God! I am still confident that I won’t puff my life away. Thousands of pamphlets and information alone and not to mention personal experiences will bind my hands from twirling a cigarette between my fingers.

Well, this is my logic to this habit: A cigarette in this country cost two pesos per stick. A regular guy will puff at least 5 per day (conservative approach). So, that is roughly 10 pesos per day multiply by 30 days. In a month that habit will cost you 300 pesos. In a year’s time, you will accumulate a pretty cool sum of 3600 pesos just for puffing away nicotine. Assuming you have that habit for 10 years…just imagine how much money you are throwing away. Well, in 10 years time, you might have forgotten that your lungs will have more craters than the moon and have wilted like a prune, and if heaven is merciful, you haven’t got a cancer yet. Now, consider how much money you are throwing for your medication…hmmmm!

I was pondering the other day how narrow minded this government stands with regard to cigarette smoking. Yes, I am pretty sure that they get a lot of excise taxes from tobacco companies but considering the amount of money they funnel to the Department of Health to treat tuberculosis and cigarette induced diseases. The benefits that they derive from these companies is a far cry from the cost they are incurring to combat the after effects of cigarette smoking.

Seems a stupid trade off (and I can’t emphasize that more)!

If I was or will be the President, I will totally tax these companies in a way that will pop their eyes off and the only way for them to remove the red numbers out from their ledgers is to stop their business.

...just thinking aloud!

5 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

I, too, hate every part of smoking/cigarettes. They completely gross me out and I always feel like I can't breath when in the presence of second hand smoke. My dad smoked when I was young and ended up quitting when he got a tooth pulled. My grandpa smoked for years and years and then quit later in life. It ended up contributing to his death still. He had emphysema amongst other things. I hate the tobacco companies and all of their supposed "warnings" to prevent people from smoking. Yeah right.

By the way, thanks for stopping by. Glad I could make you smile. :)

10:54 PM  
Blogger This suzy said...

I can't stand smoking! What I never understand is how, in this day and age, with all the information available about how horrible smoking is for you, young people pick it up as a new habit! I think older people maybe have it tougher because when they probably starting the habit, most people didn't know how bad it was for you, and now they're hooked.

2:23 AM  
Blogger j said...

I used to be a smoker. Eventually I grew tired of the habit and stopped. Now it irks me to see smokers, especially the young ones. I hope someday they realize that smoking sucks.

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» »

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!