Friday, June 23, 2006

playing "extra"



I have read that many great people before us like Einstein or Newton or Fleming had discovered their life’s purpose at an early age. They have come to tread the path that was given to them and they did it very well!

Well, philosophically speaking, if at this stage, I haven’t done anything significant to contribute to the overall goodness of the human tribe, then I might as well conclude that this is my purpose—to seat in front of the computer and work hehehe!

Kidding aside, does the Almighty only choose special people to do great things or great work? What about “us” who work behind the scene? Are we to conclude then that even how minute our contributions are, this is our life’s purpose?

Consider those big budgeted movies like Titanic or Ben-Hur where millions were cast to play the “extras”. They were all nameless and faceless characters –easily forgotten by the glittering names of the main cast of the movie.

As much I don’t want to, I think I’m just an extra to this life’s great movie.

And I’m not at all alone…

Myriad of people that I came across everyday though shielded by half-smiles and twinkling eyes, wear all the same faces of loneliness, apathy and exhaustion. All have personal battles to share and all have attempted to search for their real purpose.

I guess all of us have dreamt of becoming “big” someday. To cure the world’s illnesses or battle poverty, even composed a great song to be remembered for ages…I believe these dreams are not at all wrong because we know, with a little doze of naiveté, we can realized our visions and materialize our dreams.

Though I know and have surmised that perhaps all I am and all I will be is to play the smallest role… I am still taking the challenge and be the best “extra” this world has ever known. Who knows, that is the only part that was meant for me.

If I can gear my life the way it was meant to be ...then one life made a difference!

…just thinking aloud.

4 Comments:

Blogger j said...

You are the star of your life Jef, so better make the most out of it. Utilize your talents to be the best that you can be :)

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think we should first define in ourselves what it means to be great. we may not be able to come up with something to affect the whole of mankind but we can affect man one at a time. start with the person next to you. we may mean nothing to the world but we may mean the world to someone.

10:39 AM  
Blogger don said...

amen
there aint no measuring stick out there worth anything except the one that God holds....and He proved His love for us....the simple at heart and the meek.Yet we can all be giants by allowing our actions to reflect our love of God and for one another. To thine own God be true, and be satisfied with the gifts He has given, and have life in its fullest measure regardless of how big or small.

I enjoy your blog Jef!...oh and sorry bout the earlier jab about the artist vs the accountant. I'm just jelous cause I cant count....or spell haha

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Microsoft project training atlanta2c ga oregon boating laws safety courses nasbla approved boating course Condition zero dedicated server Seroquel action side effects and expected outcome Awful worst plastic surgery

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!