Saturday, June 24, 2006

snapshot


My fondest moment was nestled in my memory when I was only seven years old. This particular scene always crossed my mind every time the feeling of exhaustion paid an unprecedented visit.

Being born and raised in the country (when the internet was still a concept and electric iron is a rich man’s vanity) what we used to iron our clothes was the conventional iron with the burning coal.

This was the scene:

It was past eight in the evening. I was safely tucked in my bed and my mom was a meter away ironing our clothes. The local radio station was on and the nightly radio drama was playing. My eyes are now heavy as I was observing my mom tweak the coal inside the iron and carefully wiping the sides of the iron with a banana leaf . I asked my mom an animated question and she just smiled. The smell from the burnt leaf was so soothing and I closed my eyes... satisfied.

I just don’t get the reason why this particular memory was stuck in my head for almost 17 years now. In my whole life, I never felt so secured and satisfied. If I can only contain that moment and relive it all over again, I will do it in a heartbeat.

Funny to think that my most treasured moment was not from those flashy experiences like finding my first job or my college graduation. It’s this insignificant parcel of a night when a mundane work and a normal sleeping pattern conspired to make a treasured snapshot of heaven.

Maybe heaven is like that… simple photographs of ordinary moments made to last.

…just thinking aloud

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think moments with mom, especially those we felt secured, always sticks to our mind.

12:19 AM  
Blogger This suzy said...

It's so great to have memories about simple things. Sometimes I think that's what really makes up the meat in life.

I actually found 2 quotes that fit what you posted about before:
"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." Mahatma Gandhi

"The world is moved not only by themighty shoves of the heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." Helen Keller

12:21 AM  
Blogger jef said...

thank you guys...yep! memories with the parents stands out most. And Suz, the quotes are really good. I have to copy that and post it somewhere in my desk.

12:36 AM  
Blogger j said...

Hi Jef, we are both lucky that we have good childhood memories to look back to. There's so much to be thankful for in our lives :)

1:13 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I love those types of memories. It always seems like it's the "snippets" that are the most memorable for me.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!