Monday, November 06, 2006

On Gratitude


"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." Eric Hoffer

~ o ~

I have been meaning to update this blog but my creative juices took a hike and filed for a leave of absence. They called back this morning and here I am trying my best to post something worthwhile to read. (Forgive my metaphor...I know it's lame)

Anyhoo, these past few days, I've been thinking a lot about contentment. I think I've been accustomed to what I have (or who I have) right now that my heart for gratitude are quite deadened to the feeling; I really should be more thankful that:

~ That I still have a family I call my own. My parents, though they are aging, are still strong and in great vigor despite recurring diseases. That my siblings are in tip-top shapes and are doing well with their own career and families.

~ I am thankful that I feel I’m being loved; there's no need to divert my loneliness to bad habits or destructive behaviors.

~ That I am free from pain every time I wake up. Thousands upon thousands did not survive the night,

~ Even though I am not satisfied with my work, I am thankful that it pays the bills. I have the capacity to share financially and have the ability to buy the essentials like foods and clothing. And even though I hate to pay my tax, it only means that I have a steady income.

~ Even though my belly is quite getting a lump and me getting plump (aaargh), it only means that I am deriving nourishment from the food that I eat.

~ That there’s a place I go home after work and a good bed that I can rest on. Clean water to use and good natured housemates to live with.

~ That I am able to read (or write); to see little miracles brought about by new mornings; to feel familiar sensations; to be able to hear and appreciate music, melodies from nature and silent whispers of the heart; to appreciate beauty (or not); the ability to think and voice my concern; the freedom to choose my faith, my leaders and my attitude.

~ And finally, I’m thankful that I have the opportunity to be heard and the chance to influence my circle of friends.



OK, I’m feeling better now.

Whoah! I really feel better now; it’s good to write what you are thankful for because you will realize that indeed you are being blessed by the Good Lord. (And I think there are still more to be thankful for)

------

Now, its your turn!

11 Comments:

Blogger Alternati said...

You're about 2 weeks early for Thanksgiving! hehe... But I too believe you should be thankful everyday. I'm thankful for a lot of things, especially family and friends. :)

5:31 PM  
Blogger vic said...

Simply means you're alive and well and rearing to face the world and all it can offers. Bring them on.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank God for everyday blessings! But there are times when I forget His goodness.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you God for giving me this so gooeylicious body and super fingerlicking good face on the planet.

Kidding.

Thank God for all the blessings that you receive.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you want to feel rich, just count the things that you have that money can't buy.
great post. :)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Iskoo said...

naku ang dami mo pala dapat ipagpasalamat, mas mapalad ka kasi mas marami ka reason to be thankful keysa sa akin :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger pauL said...

so many things to thank for... i just thank God for this life... :D

onga... sarap sa feeling just counting his goodness sa atin...

God bless!

12:33 AM  
Blogger This suzy said...

That's a good list. I think sometimes it's easy to forget to be thankful for some of the "every day" things in our lives.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I'm still at a loss on what I'm supposed to be thankful for, Oh well...

9:57 AM  
Blogger pilimon said...

tama!

minsan lang tayo mabubuhay.. wag natin sayangin sa malulungkot na bagay.. :p

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good post. Inspiring as always. Madalas kasi nakikita natin kung ano yung kulang or lacking sa atin at di natin nabibilang yung mga magagandang bagay na meron tayo.

Keep on counting... sigurado madami pang darating yan :)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!